Saturday, March 2, 2013

Sidekick Saturday [7] "FOREIGN"


Sidekick Saturday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment
This week's type is FOREIGN
Jaclyn from JC's Book Haven chose Vayl (or Vasil Brancoveanu) from the Jaz Park series by Jennifer Rardin. I haven't read any of the books, but uptight Vayl sounds entertaining (and hot).
Now for my pick!

Naveen AndrewsI was tempted to play around with semantics and choose someone from another realm, that has to be foreign, right? Same goes with aliens, totally foreign. Then I thought of one of my favorite characters that truly deserves a book of his own, Asil from Patricia Briggs' Alpha & Omega series. Teak-tone skin. The appearance of Middle Eastern descent. Many centuries old. Werewolf. Gardener. Soulful widower with a broken spirit. And so much playful arrogance I loved him on the spot. Asil won me over the moment he gave Charles a hard time, Charles being the bogeyman to all shifters. He shamelessly flirted with Anna. He constantly baited Charles. He circumvented Bran's orders (Bran being top dog of all top dogs). He never stopped loving his wife. The man has an award winning rose garden, drinks tea, and is a complete sex god (the last part is me editorializing in a big way!).
 
On a side note, I always pose this challenge to my mom and sister. My mom jumped in right away with several suggestions. I knew her first pick before she said it. Rosie from the Sue Grafton Kinsey Millhone mystery novels. I love Rosie, Hungarian, bossy, secretively sweet and motherly. We didn't put a face to name, but think tall, large, pretty in that completely unapparent kind of way. My sister chose Mr. Bishop from Rachel Caine's Morganville series. We argued about this pick. Why? Because we're sisters. I suggested the stepdad from Shaun of the Dead to play Bishop. Then I couldn't remember Bishop's ethnicity. She chose...I forget (because her pick was so BAD). hehe

(By Kanaka's Paradise Life from Honolulu, Hawaii (Cropped from Naveen Andrews) [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)

5 comments:

  1. What a great choice! I know Bran and Charles of course from the Mercy Thompson series, but I haven't ever read Alpha and Omega. Asil certainly sounds fantastic :D Love that your mom and sis play too. How funny that you vetoed her pick for who to play Mr. Bishop! You always make me laugh. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you haven't read the Alpha and Omega series! It's more paranormal romance than the Mercy series. There's a good sized novella from On the Prowl that starts the series. It takes place right after Moon Called as far as timelines go. I forgot to mention my mom also suggested Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for this week's theme, "but they're all foreign." She vetoed her own choice.

      Delete
    2. I still like my choice for who should play Mr. Bishop--Albert Finney. He could play a mean shitterd like in the Bourne films. He is English (not American)

      Delete
    3. Shan I have given this a lot of thought. And you're wrong. hehehaha. Oh, I'm so funny. No really though, you're still wrong. Bishop should be younger and you know, spry! love you sis

      Delete
  2. Hello there, I just wanted to let you know that you've been nominated for The Very Inspiring Blogger Award, for more information click here. http://laurynapril.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-very-inspiring-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete