Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Think Out Loud [9] Fantasy Land

This week I was fortunate to join my son and his fifth grade class on a field trip to the EMP Museum in Seattle.

Seattle Center, Space Needle, Experience Music Project, Sci-Fi Museum
(By Go Card USA from Boston, USA (Seattle Center - Space Needle - EMP - SciFi Museum) [CC-BY-SA-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)

The perfect museum for downtown Seattle. We're talking pop culture mania. I didn't get to spend much time enjoying every nook and cranny because I was assigned six kids to watch (including my son). But then we headed to the fantasy exhibit. I got to see Xena's outfit, the lion's costume from the original Wizard of Oz, along with costumes from The Princess Bride and a slew of other sci-fi and fantasy movies and TV shows. Also on display were hand written pages from the early stages of Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. The kids loved the mechanical dragon the most, especially Will.

I realized Will lives most of his life in a fantasy realm, part video games, part movies, part his immediate family. One of the facets of his autism happens to be echolalia, mimicking. I waited a long time for his first word, then even longer for his first genuine word spurred by his own motivation to speak. I remember it clearly. I was tucking him in bed. He was four and a half and I walked through whatever routine we had at the time. That night I sneezed and for the first time he said, "Bless you, Mom." I have to tell you with a hard of hearing husband (divorced now) and a son with autism no one had said bless you to me in years and then to be called mom, I bawled my eyes out.

Will goes back and forth between lines from his fantasy world and his real feelings. Think of Bumblebee from Transformers. His voice-box/translator/something is busted so he uses lines from songs to communicate. Will does that, but he uses dialogue he's memorized. I thought about how much I love his optimism because there is nothing more optimistic than believing good triumphs over evil, that superheroes exist, that he can be a superhero. I don't want to take that away from him, but I also want him to live here in the present. I had an idea. I have this juvenile fiction story I created that's on hold. I thought why not write it with my boys. Will can help me create a story so he can see fiction as it's being made. Maybe I can help him understand the difference between pretend and real. Maybe all that will happen is a new addition to the library of go-to lines, but you always have keep trying stuff.

I'm not sure how to start. I have the names. I have a premise. A rough sketch in my mind of the alternate world I want to create. How do I bring the boys into it so they own part of the story? I have to figure out that part. I also have to make it a part of our weekly routine. Maybe have a big sheet of paper taped to the wall where they can spout ideas and I can jot them down immediately. Hmm. Any ideas? Suggestions?

Have something stirring around in that head of yours? A joke you want to share? How about a quote or your favorite song? Join Think's awesome meme because we'd love to hear form you.

12 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds like incredibly too much fun! I want to go next time :D I really like the picture, it's so pretty. Also I would love to see Xena's out fit! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaclyn, you would have loved the EMP Museum. The first floor was dedicated to guitars I've never seen before, all kinds, a few really rare ones. There was an extensive Jimmi Hendrix section as well as Nirvana of course. On the second floor you could play with instruments and record your own music. Will struggled in that section because unpredictable music sets him off, but he handled it beautifully. I tried so hard to get him to play something. The third floor was fantasy heaven. Right outside the museum is the Space Needle. It was just plain cool. And Will was so happy to have me there with him. He introduced me to the bus driver.

      Delete
    2. I could talk fantasy tv shows til the cows come home. I would have loved to see Xena's costume. The blog was written so well; my eyes teared up. Don't you laugh at me Rob. I also can't wait to see what you and the boys come up with. Those boys of yours are truly comic geniuses. They get it from our side of the family.

      Delete
    3. Funny girl. I am not going to tease you for tearing up. It's not like you do it often at almost nothing. hehe. The boys crack me up everyday, in all senses of the word.

      Delete
  2. That's a great idea, that's another way to spend quality time with them in a fun way. That looks like a fun trip, the place looks amazing. Just reading that part made me teary eyed, that was so sweet. I'm sure I would have cried right there with you if I would have heard it. I'm such a cry baby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been so many milestones with Will. My mom and sister bawl their eyes out all the time and just stare at me all dry-eyed. Then something like that one night and I'm standing on the other side of his bedroom door, crying and wanting to go back in and sneeze again. I think the book will be fun to write with them, but I have to come prepared so they see I mean business. Oh, maybe I'll call them my co-authors! Oh ho ho.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a great field trip to get to go on, Robyn! And your post is so touching. I love your Bumblebee analogy. Will is really lucky to have a mom who makes his life so positive - who appreciates who he is and can validate him. So I think the joint book writing is a great idea. Since you have a rough idea for the story, how about telling that part of the story to your boys (like a bed time story) and asking them what they think happens next. You could even do that with the paper - talk about the story and have the boys draw what they think comes next??? Just thinking out loud. :) Good luck and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the coolest field trip? I just found out it was a gift to the school by the head of the museum. Your ideas are great! I'll go back and read what I have so far. Since the two main characters are brothers modeled after Will and John, but their monster counterparts, they might really get into it. I love the idea of asking them what they think happens next. A drawing project is perfect too! Will draws his Christmas list for Santa each year. Maybe I'll do an update post after we make some progress.

      Happy reading, Brandee! I'm in the middle of Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison and I'm loving it!

      Delete
  4. Wow! The museum sounds like great fun. Xena's outfit? Fantastic! :)

    I agree with Brandee on the idea for the story. You could ask your boys what they think happens next after wherever you stopped. I think that'd be really cool.

    Do have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, are you a Xena fan too? I wish I could remember everything I saw, but there were eleven year olds everywhere you looked! We just missed the computer games exhibit. Sadness. Will would have loved that since he's such a gamer. He plays better than his total gamer dad. I think the idea about asking the boys what happens next is a good idea too! I'm trying that first.

      Have a great weekend right back!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely post. Even though it made me teary. :)

    It sounds like you have a wonderful idea for your next story and I'm sure this is an experience your sons will treasure. Good luck, and I can't wait to see how it proceeds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the nice words! I think this could be a fun summer project for all of us. I just introduced the story to John. He thinks the good monsters should be yellow with horns, claws, and spiky toes, and one of them should be named Wolverine and one should be named Mac-N-Cheese. Hmmm. Will told me the portal to earth should be at his dad's house. It won't be dull that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete