Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sidekick Showcase [34] Creatures of the Night- Defanged Vamps



Creatures of the night month is on its last weekend! My boys have their costumes. Two Face for Will and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for John. Not very scary. And it turns out that a lot of the characters in the books I love that start out scary turn into fluffy bunnies at some point. So I'm choosing one character that has fluffy potential in future books, but right now with his titanium fangs, huge size, and hatred for humans, he freaks me out. I'm choosing Myne from Larissa Ione's Bound by Night. I just finished reading it today and Myne is still on my mind. The guy can rip a person's head off with his fangs. Why are they shiny and metal you may ask? Because evil humans defanged him. Oh, boy. So when he bites, it hurts. I'm thinking when it's time for his story, the girl is going to be a bit of a masochist. Yikes! Or maybe they'll figure out a way to give him back his awesome vamp sex elixir that all the best paranormal romance books have including this one. If you're wondering what this hunka biting scariness looks like, he's 6'5, black hair, Native American heritage. His hobbies include hunting humans, drinking alcohol as a means of therapy, hunting some more.

"He relishes this. What a bastard. And what the hell was up with his fangs?
"My fangs?...What, do I have something in them? Yo, Rike. Do I have a piece of that...dude in my teeth?" (pg. 35)

"Adrenaline adds a pleasantly piquant note to the blood." (pg 37)

"Can Riker come out to play?" Myne asked.
"Depends." Riker narrowed his eyes at his friend. Myne often had a skewed view on what was fun. "What are we playing?"
"Poach the Poachers." (pg. 167)

Sidekick Showcase, previously known as Sidekick Saturday, is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! I will post my Sidekicks on Saturday, then whichever day during the week that you would like to post yours, you can put your link in on my page. Just do the following:
• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fit's in the week's topic
• Share a picture (if you can) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• The day of your post, put your link in below and grab the code for your post so you can see the others that post their's throughout the week as well

6 comments:

  1. LOL, I used that Riker and play quote in my review for Bond by Night, Robyn - and I think it's an excellent choice, as is Myne!

    I hope you're having an excellent weekend.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your review made me want to read the book and I loved it! Gobbled it up in a couple days. I can't wait for Hunter's story. I hope your classes are going well. I'm enjoying my one class. It's fun to be in student mode again. Happy reading, Lexxie!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!! What a great pick. I haven't read this series, but this guy would scare the mess out of me. Love the uniqueness of his fangs and how that adds to the creep factor. Excellent quotes!! I hope you are having a fantastic weekend :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you watched the new TMNT stuff? All new graphics, new toys. John is obsessed.

      This is a great start to a new series. It reminded me a lot of Nalini Singh's Psy-Changling series. Myne isn't the main hero in this installment, but I can't wait for his story. I hope your weekend went well. I'm still recovering. Ack!

      Delete
  3. I have wanted to read Bound by Night since reading Lexxie's review. Now I REALLY want to read it! LOL That's just...ungh...I don't have words for Myne or his fangs or his hobbies! Oh gosh - I gotta get to this one sooner than later. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Myne isn't even the hero in this book. Riker is just as messed up. And boy is it steamy. You'll love it. I almost want to say sorry because I know your TBR list is collaborating a mutiny on your ass.

      Delete