Monday, October 28, 2013

To Prologue or Not to Prologue

Holding Hands shadow on sandNew writers are notorious for massive info dumps in the early pages of their precious novels (I'm talking about me here). It's a struggle for every writer to ride the fine line between enticing a reader into the world you created for them and holding hands from start to finish.

So what about prologues as a device to alleviate those massive paragraphs of backstory? As a reader, I love books with short prologues because they give me a glimpse the first chapter can't. Not really a preview, but a domain of questions I must have answered, must as in, I must keep reading. As a writer, prologues are plain fun to write.

Two books immediately come to mind when I think of fantastic prologues, Poison Princess by Kresley Cole and Bound by Night by Larissa Ione. Oh my goodness, talk about being left breathless on the edge of a cliff. So I'm wondering about prologues, when and how to use them. When they should have been left out of the book. When they're just another form of hand holding the reader.

How do you all feel about prologues?

(By Mike DelGaudio (Flickr) [CC-BY-2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons)

6 comments:

  1. I don't have a problem with prologues. I read (and write) suspense books and the prologue is pretty common. I say if it serves the story, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same in the world of paranormal romance. I'm with you, if it serves the story, go for it. Yeah.

      Delete
  2. Well, that is an interesting question, Robyn. :)
    Some people tell me that prologues are not good. And we should get rid of them, but I don't agree. It depends on the book and it depends on the story. Personally prologues fascinate me. Especially if it's a damn good prologue.

    I wrote a prologue in Divided ( http://between-my-lines.blogspot.gr/2013/06/divided.html ) and I know I'd do it again.

    I love a deeper view in a story before it begins. It makes my imagination go wild and that's a motive to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, yes. I loved the prologue. "First time it happened when I was a kid." That's a great first line. I've heard a lot of writer folk suggesting to do away with the prologue if at all possible, but as a reader I enjoy them and I write what I love to read. The trick is to make it a "a damn good prologue."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Athina. I think it depends on the story, too. This is an interesting question I've never thought of before. As a brand new writer and a lifelong reader, I know it's a mistake to info dump but am not quite sure how to master beginning a piece of writing without doing exactly that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I entered a few writing contests early on and the main complaint was hitting the reader with loads of info too early on. I think it's our natural inclination to share what we know about our characters as soon as we know it so the readers are right there with you. You are not alone!

      Delete