Monday, November 11, 2013

Wild Sci-Fi Gory Awesome World! robgirlbooks' Review of Clutch (I Am Just Junco #1)


Clutch (I Am Just Junco #1)
Publisher: Science Future Press (9/15/12)
NA Sci-Fi (awesomeness)
4.5 STARS!!
Junco Coot is a soldier. She's all alone. And her world is filled with monsters. Thing is, this pint-sized, foul-mouthed killer is a monster too. It took me a few days to adjust to such a different kind of story, but finally I realized my brain absorbed the words as if I was watching a movie. The images were so vivid, the characters so real, the blood so right in your face. The simple act of hitting a buck in the road felt like a slow motion movie reel. I couldn't look away. I also had to adjust to a female character with minimal introspection/whining. This girl just goes and goes. Got a bloody head and busted shoulder? Suck it up. Got a military faction after your ass? Take em' down and run for it. Then enter Tier. An actual winged man wrapped in a shroud of mystery, mayhem, hotness, and murder. He wants to help Junco, but we're never sure what he really wants.

There are so many deeply rooted conflicts in this story. Earth is in a state of constant conflict with military factions and all the politics it takes to crush ordinary folk in the name of peace. We have hatred between humans and the winged aliens. And we have freaking scary beasts like the moondogs that will eat you. They'll howl and sing and munch you down. J.A. Huss pulled me into Junco's world by creating a wonderfully captivating, flawed, and raw character. Did I hop on over to Amazon and one-click Fledge (book 2)? Yes I did.

I'm down three books on my list for the E-reader challenge and I've purchased book 2 for two of them. Math-wise, I'm not doing so good. Entertainment-wise? I'm rocking it out! I hope you all are having a great time reading!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE your review, Robyn! I'm so very glad you loved Junco and her world. I love your description of how Junco sucks it up and takes 'em down! LOL And I totally agree with you about the book reading as a movie ~ Ms. Huss' writing is wonderfully vivid in that way. I can't wait for you to continue on in the series. Oh, and you could just add Fledge to your COYER list...*hahahaha* **HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks for that. I've sunk myself deep with this series. Some characters you read and wish you really knew them. And as scary as Junco can be, I'd love to be her friend. You get to call this series, Brandee. I'm a convert.

      Delete
  2. WOW! I'm even happier now that this book is on my TBR shelf, Robyn. Your review is awesome, and I'll be reading Clutch sooner than planned! Good going on the COYER challenge, too :)
    Have a great day!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed this comment somehow! You know who inspired this read. I hope you enjoy it. I loved the breakneck pace and the wild main character. Then throw in a mysterious guy. I had to go off the COYER list right after because I needed fluff.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for recommending this book to me! I'm so ashamed I haven't read any books by this author yet! Mortified even! Awesome review - you rock it out, girl! Keep on rocking it out! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Tragic and Manic (NA contemporary) and they were really good, but Junco is so unique, vulnerable, messed up, and violent. Gotta love that combo. I had to dive into an insta-love novella right after to balance out the gore and drama.

      Delete