Saturday, March 29, 2014

Sidekick Showcase [47] Chasing the Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow

Sidekick Showcase, previously known as Sidekick Saturday, is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! I will post my Sidekicks on Saturday, then whichever day during the week that you would like to post yours, you can put your link in on my page. Just do the following:
• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fit's in the week's topic
• Share a picture (if you can) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick

This week I'm casting the sidekick character who can't stop chasing the elusive pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Algaliarept from Kim Harrison's The Hollows series, or Al, or scary ass demon who's definitely evil and yet I really like him, can't stop chasing Rachel Morgan. She's his pot of gold, or what she'll bring to his existence is, and I don't think it's just a pride thing. Al's no fluffy leprechaun equipped with a staff and charming Irish accent, though he'd be happy to offer that image if you're deathly terrified of leprechauns. He's mean like that. Their first encounter changed the course of Rachel's life and because he became hooked on the idea of owning her soul, it changed the course of his life too. I like Al. 

“From the back came an unearthly, satisfied chuckle. All I could see in the rearview mirror was a dark shadow with red goat-slitted eyes. Fear slithered through me.
Shit, I have a demon in my backseat. What in hell am I playing with?
“Good witch,” Al said, his voice coming from nothing, and I stifled a shudder. “You’re starting to understand.”
Kim Harrison

6 comments:

  1. How would you pronounce that name? 0.0

    That's an interesting comparison... He sounds so creepy, and I can' t get that image of a little beady eyed fanged leprechaun out of my head.(*shudders*) *tries to think of about bunnies and Lucky Charm's leprechaun*

    Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous weekend!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bunnies never work for me! But I do love Lucky Charms. Mmm, sugar. Your Sidekick challenge was awesome. I really want to read that series. I hope you have a great Sunday!

      Delete
  2. I love Al!! It's fabulous that you brought up the point that he would in fact turn into a leprechaun if you were afraid of them LOL. I just finished Undead Pool and Al in that one made me sad. I think his character is fantastic though how he can be so evil and still make the reader pity and even love him. It's a pretty amazing thing to me. Excellent pick!! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to ask you about Undead Pool. Did you enjoy it even though Al made you sad? Kim Harrison knows how to write her characters. Evil is usually evil, but I love it when it's more and I become invested and sometimes even root for the person/thing.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Robyn. You just hooked me. I haven't read The Hollows series, but now I want to! I just added this to my TBR.

    Thank you for sharing. Have a beautiful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you'll love Kim Harrison. The world building mixed with a dash of humor and colorful characters, even when I think of the series I think of it in colors, red mostly. I hope you have a beautiful week too, Athina!

      Delete