Saturday, April 19, 2014

Sidekick Showcase [48] Comic Relief!

Sidekick Showcase, previously known as Sidekick Saturday, is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! I will post my Sidekicks on Saturday, then whichever day during the week that you would like to post yours, you can put your link in on my page. Just do the following:
• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fit's in the week's topic
• Share a picture (if you can) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick

The month of April is all about silliness, comic relief, pranksters, you get the idea. I'm going with comic relief and I don't usually tap into my own books for the Sidekick posts, but Branden Mills from Shadow Town has been on my mind since it's LGBT Month. He's Maggie Lane's best friend and not someone who tells you your poop smells like sunshine. He has this pitchy laugh that gets me every time even though, you know, I'm writing the scenes. He's a bit of a slut. He's secretive, loyal, and hot. And there is no universe in which Maggie and Branden will ever get together. 

“He slipped right by my noticing, Maggie. Okay, I tried waving at him once and I sensed by way of his middle finger high in the air that he wasn’t the friendly sort, but I didn’t think he was a bad person.” 
“Right, me too, except for me waving at him. What the hell, Branden?” He shrugs, but the image of him being flipped off after enthusiastically waving hello has me folding over laughing.

Robyn Jones. Shadow Town: Maggie Lane Chronicles #1 (Kindle Locations 570-574). 

[Damon] stuffs his hands in his pockets. My eyes go straight to that part of his body. Then I notice his jeans for the first time. My eyes dart to his familiar purple rhinestone bedazzled shirt. How could I have been so blind? 
“You’re with Branden. That’s why you’ve been teasing me so much. Man, okay.” I wave at his clothes, shaking my head. I hate my housemate right now. I turn to leave. The relief slash crushing disappointment that Branden snagged this guy for himself is too much to sift through with a witness around. 
“Wait, what?” He dramatically blinks, pulls out his phone, and starts texting. Before I can cuss him out and I’m sure the words would flow without any trouble, the window above the kitchen sink slides open. Branden’s laugh sings through the warm evening air. 
“I let him borrow some of my clothes. That’s all. I did not have my way with him, Maggie.” If I could only shoot lasers out of my eyes. “By the way, he needs your help with his package.”

Robyn Jones. Shadow Town: Maggie Lane Chronicles #1 (Kindle Locations 817-826). 

6 comments:

  1. YAY, you do know I have Shadow Town on my TBR, right? And I love characters who can make me laugh :) I think it's great that you chose one of your own this week.
    I hope you're enjoying your weekend, my friend. *hugs*

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a smart TBR list you have...hehe. I love characters that make me laugh too. Even during dark times, laughter sneaks its way in. I'm having a great weekend, Lexxie, thank you! I'm trying not to eat too much chocolate...

      I hope yours is wonderful too!

      Delete
  2. Branden is the perfect choice, Robyn!! I really love him...although I'm not sure I could pick a favorite character from Shadow Town if I had to. I'm pretty much in love with them all! *ha* Okay, well maybe not the evil ones. ;)

    I hope you're enjoying your Easter Sunday, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with them too. Michael is one I'd love to give his own series, but I haven't found his story yet and I've never done a spin off. Hmm. Easter Sunday was chocolaty. John and I finished a super hero book we've been reading for a couple months, 300 pages! So that was real neat.

      Delete
  3. That's so great! I'm actually choosing one of your characters for next week that's been on my list and when I saw you went with one of yours I had a mild panic that you had my choice ;) Branden is an excellent one though and I have a lot of love for him. All the characters in Shadow Town are so well done, it's actually hard for me to choose a fav. Love the choice!! Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you panicked! (not in a mean way) You're so funny, Jaclyn. I can't wait to see who you pick. And I can't wait to get back into Maggie Lane's world. Hey, I totally rocked your cover scramble. I can brag because it's been forever since I had a clue! I hope you had a wonderful Easter!

      Delete