Sunday, October 25, 2015

Grit


Tacoma Narrows Bridge, by trainThere's this hill at the end of my weekend bridge runs I call John's Hill. My 6 year old told me I can make it up the hill, but I have to think I can. So I named it after him. It's a beast and I am not a graceful runner. My blindingly bright shoes clop. My lungs crush air into this terrible sawing noise I do my best to hush if another runner crosses my path. My undermining thoughts try to convince me I could walk the dang thing faster. Then I remember one word. Grit. I'm running the hill because I decided to. Nothing more is needed. I figure reaching certain dreams are like that too.






"By RustyObjects (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons"

7 comments:

  1. I like that word :D You've got grit! I have faith you'll make it up that hill every time you decide to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Jaclyn! I know you've got grit too. Oh, I tried walking just a tiny bit reading my Kindle ala your reading-walks. "Jaclyn can do it." Yeah, I got dizzy.

      Delete
  2. Well done, Robyn! Knowing you have grit, and just going for it takes a lot of strength, and you did it!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexxie! Guess what I got delivered to my Kindle today. I don't know when I'll get to read Walk Through Fire, but no doubt I'll love it and ignore everything around me until I finish reading it.

      Delete
    2. You are definitely going to love it! And I think you should start ignoring the world around you right now, Robyn ;)
      Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

      Delete
  3. Do it, Robyn. You can do it! It's only a decision. Believe that you can do it and you'll see that you'll go up that hill.

    I don't know if it called grit or determination, but I've noticed that when I believe I can do something, then, not magically, but painfully and slowly, it happens.

    It's not the universe listening and granted wishes. We make things happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we make things happen! Painfully and slowly is the best way for a writer. That way we'll never forget. Happy flying, Athina!!

      Delete